Re: multipath algorithm

On 3/15/06, William L. Thomson Jr. <wlt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-03-15 at 13:33 -0300, Andreas Hasenack wrote:
> >
> > I never used those patches. For me, not being included in the mainstream
> > kernel for all those years has to mean something is broken somewhere.
>
> Well at the time, back in my 2.2/2.4 years. It was lacking or broken
> support in the kernel. Sure one could use a multipath gateways but for
> many reason it just flat out would not work. With Julian's patches and
> nat it resolved those problems. Since it's addressing something most
> people using Linux will never attempt. Along with many other reasons
> they have never been included.
>
> Like static routes. Ever made a entry in a routing table, to have it
> disappear when the interface goes down. Only appearing again when the
> interface is up, if that routing table is re-created. The static patch
> resolves that.
>
> I do not believe the patches would cause harm to introduce into the
> kernel. But there has been reasons for keeping it out. Not always good
> or technical ones. I recall discussing it with Julian. I believe Julian
> has attempted many times to get them into the main stream kernel.
>
> In fact after looking into them, I think I might need them to resolve
> some issues I am having now. Even though I am not using multipath
> gateway, or dead gateway detection. Just multiple ISP's multiple
> networks, routed to different ISP's. Like my arp issues, yet to be
> mentioned.

Personally, I applied the the patches at the time to a 2.6 kernel and
the end result was they would not work correctly for multipath
routing, and would result in kernel panics after enough route paths
got cached. I made sure I was applying the correct patch to correct
kernel sources and that I was using a correct route configuration, but
noone could offer me any help.  In the end the only "solutions" I got
was to either change back to a 2.4 kernel, or change to redhat.
Neither of which were options I could use. In the end this left my
impression of the patches as rather lacking, especially with the
kernel panics.

Though who knows, maybe if they had been included in the kernel
there'd be more interest in testing and maintaining them with current
kernel sources.

- Jody