Re: Patch to allow for the ATM "cell tax"

Jason Boxman wrote:
Jesper Dangaard Brouer said:

<snip>

I just held a technical talk about the ADSL-optimizer (4/3-2006) at
linuxforum.dk.  Where I promised the audience that I would try to get the
patches to the kernel and TC into the main line.  It seem work on this
front is already in progress, Cool! :-)

I reread parts of your thesis last night.  Excellent information.

I finally patched my 2.6.15.5 kernel last night and use Stuart's userspace
`tc` patch and I'm up and running.  So far, things are working extremely
well and exceeding my expectations.  I only wish I actually knew my PPPoATM
overhead, but my modem won't share. :)

You may be able to work it out if you can get a cell count from it.

If not, if you have lowish uprate you can tell with ping times.

I have 288kbit up and think it would be possible to plot out the min times from lots of ping samples with different packet lengths and see the steps from the bitrate latency of an extra cell.

I am not sure if it would be as easy if you use interleave - I'm fast/fast and with one of my modems which gives small jitter I can see the effect quickly, my other modem adds jitter and would need lots of samples to judge.

Andy.