Re: QoS for Voip.

Am Friday 16 July 2004 18:54 schrieb Jason Boxman:

> But how well does that scale?

> Would you want to do per user classifications to give SSH for each user
> a higher priority if you had, say, 230 users, for example?  Or would
> each user merely need to find for himself with his slice?

I wrote something about having to many users in my mail too. :-)
And I made clear that this setup is what I do at home and I do not have
(thank god) 230 flatmates. So hopefully there were no
misunderstandings. :-)

The interesting question is... are the 230 users all active at the same
time. You only need classes for active users. And for that many active
users, you need a lot of bandwidth if each of them wants to be doing VoIP
and P2P so I don't see *that* many problems there. Of course, I don't have
any practical experience there.

>From the point of view of a big ISP, I'd probably make my own life easier
by just providing constant (ceiled) rates, no borrowing. Global
prioritization (where theoretically each user can use the whole available
bandwidth) has the risk that if a user finds out a special type of traffic
is being prioritized, he abuses this. For example, he could use a
prioritized protocol to tunnel other stuff through it... think of P2P over
VoIP. If VoIP is allowed to use all the bandwith, such a user could steal
way too many bandwidth from others. The only way to prevent this sort of
thing would then be to make no global prioritizations, but give each user
his own sandbox (which is more or less the idea behind my home setup).

Depending on the bandwidth your clients get, you don't have to do things
like prioritizing SSH and VoIP for them... my ISP doesn't do that for me
either, at least not on such a close level. And I doubt I would like my
ISP to decide for me which traffic to prioritize for me. I just do this
kind of stuff on my own home machine.

I hope it makes sense in a way :-0 It was a rather hasty rant, sorry

Andreas