Re: QoS for Voip.

On Friday 16 July 2004 11:53, Andreas Klauer wrote:
<snip>
> At home, I have a different approach. There's just fair sharing between
> custumers (err, flatmates). Each person gets his HTB class, all HTB
> classes have the same priorities and rates, so everyone gets the same
> amount of bandwidth no matter what it's used for (p2p, www, voip, gaming).
> Prioritizing interactive over http over p2p traffic is then also done on a
> per-user basis. This way it doesn't matter to a single user what kind of
> traffic other users generates... the only guarantee there is that each
> user can get the same amount of bandwidth.

But how well does that scale?

# Default: Put stuff in class 2.

    $BIN_TC filter add dev $UC_DEV parent 1:$UC_MARK prio 100 \
                   protocol ip handle $UC_MARK fw flowid 1:$(($UC_MARK+2))

Would you want to do per user classifications to give SSH for each user a
higher priority if you had, say, 230 users, for example?  Or would each user
merely need to find for himself with his slice?