Re: QoS for Voip.

Am Friday 16 July 2004 17:19 schrieb Alessandro Ren:
>     I am using HTB and if someone on the LAN uses a p2p program, I
> started to noticed in the voip, with cuts, jitter and lag.

Have you tried filtering P2P traffic (using IPP2P or l7-filter)?
With HTB, I'd suggest to put it into a class with low prio and low rate,
so P2P has to borrow nearly everything. But on the other hand you should
make sure Voip can't max out the line either. It's not easy to find a
balance there.

At home, I have a different approach. There's just fair sharing between
custumers (err, flatmates). Each person gets his HTB class, all HTB
classes have the same priorities and rates, so everyone gets the same
amount of bandwidth no matter what it's used for (p2p, www, voip, gaming).
Prioritizing interactive over http over p2p traffic is then also done on a
per-user basis. This way it doesn't matter to a single user what kind of
traffic other users generates... the only guarantee there is that each
user can get the same amount of bandwidth.

If this setup causes cuts, jitter and lag in voip, it's either because the
same user is generating other traffic with same or higher priority than
voip; or because there just isn't enough bandwidth available altogether to
serve all the people.

However, that kind of setup requires a lot of classes in HTB (one per
[active] client); so if there are too many clients, the rates per class
get too low, which might impact HTB performance.

Andreas