Re: QoS for Voip.

Hi!

I answer to two messages from this thread (I use digest).

lartc-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Message: 3 Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 10:51:37 -0700 (PDT) From: ibro tj <ibb_linux@xxxxxxxxx> Subject: Re: QoS for Voip. To: lartc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, alessandro.ren@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi,

the hint from Martin A Brown which I am experimenting
without regret yet is that you shoul decrease the
queue lenght to say 30 from the default 100 and also
reduce the MTU(MAX. TRANSFER UNIT) to the size of
typical voice traffic say 256 using

The MTU is Maximum Transfer Unit, if a package is smaller than the MTU, it will pass just like that. I got very good results doing something like that, but you introduce more header overhead, wich will waste bandwith. And, you can't control the MTO your ISP sends to you (at least not in my case, it would be MRU, I changed it, and nothing happened). The queue lenght will reduce the maximum delay you can get for packages without classification, if you classify them, you don't have to worry about that

ip link set dev eth0 qlen 30 ip link set dev eth0 mtu 1000

Hope it helps.

Ibrahim T.