Re: KVM devices assignment; PCIe AER?

On Wed, 27 Oct 2010, Alex Williamson wrote:
KVM already has an internal IRQ ACK notifier (which is what current
device assignment uses to do the same thing), it's just a matter of
adding a callback that does a kvm_register_irq_ack_notifier that sends
off the eventfd signal.  I've got this working and will probably send
out the KVM patch this week.  For now the eventfd goes to userspace, but
this is where I imagine we could steal some of the irqfd code to make
VFIO consume the irqfd signal directly.  Thanks,

Thanks for the clarification. I must admit I was somewhat confuse about that irqfd mechanism until I realized that all it does is to consume an eventfd from kernel context (like you pointed out earlier...) So from userspace I guess that it means that the same eventfd is going to be assigned to both VFIO and KVM right?

Going back to the original discussion, I think that devices assignment over VFIO is a great way to support PCIe AER for the assigned devices. I'm going to spend some time in that direction for sure. In the mean time I'll send some patches (shortly) that address the problem without any major surgery to the current implementation.

thanks,
-Etienne