Re: KVM devices assignment; PCIe AER?

On Tue, 26 Oct 2010, Chris Wright wrote:

I would totally agree with you if the alternative implementation to
this legacy mode would be available in a relatively short time
frame. I'm not sure about that?

Depends on how quickly you can help whip it into shape ;)

Humm, this is not an easy question;
IMHO the biggest problem of going with VFIO for devices assignment is interruption handling. VFIO knows how to signal an eventfd but doesn't know about 'kvm_set_irq' for example. I think that VFIO will require some adaptation for that matter.

Because qemu device assignment is working on VFIO I'm making the assumption that kvm iommu code can be entirely deprecated. Maybe I'm totally wrong here?

That's why I asked about how you were implementing, for example, the AER
extended capability exposure.  Capabilities are a problem for the current
code (forget about extended capabilities, just regular capabilities).

We depend on Q35 PCIe chipset for that matter. Do this answer your question?

thanks,
Etienne