Re: KVM devices assignment; PCIe AER?

* Etienne Martineau (etmartin101@xxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> On Tue, 26 Oct 2010, Chris Wright wrote:
>
> >>***One of the aspect I'm not clear is the strategy for
> >>device-assignment under KVM?
> >>A) Move to VFIO; [/dev/iommu, /dev/vfio]
> >
> >Long term, hopefully VFIO
> >
> >>B) KVM as a driver for the assigned devices; [sysfs/ ioctls..]
> >
> >Short term (i.e. current qemu-kvm tree...this is what we have now and
> >will continue to until plan A) gets more mature).
> >
> Strictly speaking, I don't really agree with 'B' being the current
> implementation. Correct me if I'm wrong but for assigned devices,
> kvm does a look up for the device and eventually obtain a handle to
> it (struct pci_dev*) without doing a proper 'pci_register_driver'.

OK, not a PCI driver per-se (that's pci-stub), but KVM owns the process of
registering interrupt handler, programming iommu, etc.

> I think we need to register with PCI and provide
> 'pci_error_handlers' callback if we wants to receive AER
> notification.

Right, and adding more to the existing KVM code which we are hoping to
push to legacy support mode doesn't sound like a great idea.

> In that context, do you think it's acceptable for KVM to be the
> driver of the assigned devices? OR should we simply add the AER
> logic into existing pci-stub and relay the information to user-space
> through eventfd...

I'm reluctant to add logic to pci-stub, but VFIO should be able to
handle this directly.

thanks,
-chris