Re: KVM devices assignment; PCIe AER?

* Etienne Martineau (etmartin101@xxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Oct 2010, Chris Wright wrote:
> >Right, and adding more to the existing KVM code which we are hoping to
> >push to legacy support mode doesn't sound like a great idea.
>
> I would totally agree with you if the alternative implementation to
> this legacy mode would be available in a relatively short time
> frame. I'm not sure about that?

Depends on how quickly you can help whip it into shape ;)

That's why I asked about how you were implementing, for example, the AER
extended capability exposure.  Capabilities are a problem for the current
code (forget about extended capabilities, just regular capabilities).

> >>In that context, do you think it's acceptable for KVM to be the
> >>driver of the assigned devices? OR should we simply add the AER
> >>logic into existing pci-stub and relay the information to user-space
> >>through eventfd...
> >
> >I'm reluctant to add logic to pci-stub, but VFIO should be able to
> >handle this directly.
>
> I agree that VFIO should be able to do the job.

It would be great to see some effort on this.

thanks,
-chris