Re: [RFC 00/29] Introduce NVIDIA GPU Virtualization (vGPU) Support

On Fri, Sep 27, 2024 at 04:22:32PM +0200, Danilo Krummrich wrote:
> > When you say things like this it comes across as though you are
> > implying there are two tiers to the community. Ie those that set the
> > strategy and those that don't.
>
> This isn't true, I just ask you to consider the goals that have been set
> already, because we have been working on this already.

Why do keep saying I haven't?

I have no intention of becoming involved in your project or
nouveau. My only interest here is to get an agreement that we can get
a VFIO driver (to improve the VFIO subsystem and community!) in the
near term on top of in-tree nouveau.

> > > But, we have to agree on a long term strategy and work towards the corresponding
> > > goals *together*.
> >
> > I think we went over all the options already. IMHO the right one is
> > for nova and vfio to share some kind of core driver. The choice of
> > Rust for nova complicates planning this, but it doesn't mean anyone is
> > saying no to it.
>
> This is the problem, you're many steps ahead.
>
> You should start with understanding why we want the core driver to be in Rust.
> You then can raise your concerns about it and then we can discuss them and see
> if we can find solutions / consensus.

I don't want to debate with you about Nova. It is too far in the
future, and it doesn't intersect with anything I am doing.

> But you're not even considering it, and instead start with a counter proposal.
> This isn't acceptable to me.

I'm even agreeing to a transition into a core driver in Rust, someday,
when the full community can agree it is the right time.

What more do you want from me?

Jason