Re: [RFC 00/29] Introduce NVIDIA GPU Virtualization (vGPU) Support

On Thu, Sep 26, 2024 at 11:40:57AM -0300, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 26, 2024 at 02:54:38PM +0200, Greg KH wrote:
> >
> > No, I do object to "we are ignoring the driver being proposed by the
> > developers involved for this hardware by adding to the old one instead"
> > which it seems like is happening here.
>
> That is too harsh. We've consistently taken a community position that
> OOT stuff doesn't matter, and yes that includes OOT stuff that people
> we trust and respect are working on. Until it is ready for submission,
> and ideally merged, it is an unknown quantity. Good well meaning
> people routinely drop their projects, good projects run into
> unexpected roadblocks, and life happens.

That's not the point -- at least it never was my point.

Upstream has set a strategy, and it's totally fine to raise concerns, discuss
them, look for solutions, draw conclusions and do adjustments where needed.

But, we have to agree on a long term strategy and work towards the corresponding
goals *together*.

I don't want to end up in a situation where everyone just does their own thing.

So, when you say things like "go do Nova, have fun", it really just sounds like
as if you just want to do your own thing and ignore the existing upstream
strategy instead of collaborate and shape it.