Re: Tracking KVM development

2010/3/22 Asdo <asdo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

>> I've looked at libvirt a bit, and I fail at seeing the attraction. I
>> think I will stay with plain qemu-kvm, unless there are some very
>> compelling reasons for going down the libvirt route.
>>

> Virsh (uses libvirt) is almost irreplaceable for us...
> How do you start and stop virtual machines easily, get a list of the running
> ones... How do you ensure a virtual machine is never started twice? (would
> obviously have disastrous results on the filesystem) How do you connect
> on-demand to the graphics of the VM from your laptop, with a good security
> so that only the system administrator can do that? (virt-viewer provides
> very easy support for this, tunnelling VNC graphics over SSH, you connect by
> specifying the name of the host and the name of the VM... just great!)

I fully agree...I started out by starting the VMs by entering the
kvm-command directly in a terminal. Then I decided to put it in a
shell script, so I didn't have to type the same things over and over
again. Then I needed a way to easily start, stop and restart the
machines, so I wrote another script for this. Then I decided to extend
it with some more functionality, allowing me to list running machines
and ensure that machines weren't run more than once. Then I decided to
extended the script to parse *.conf files, which allowed me to
automatically configure VMs through one *.conf file per VM. Then I
hacked some more functionality into the script and ....

...now I've essentially hacked together some more or less ugly shell
script for handling my VMs. After spending a bit of time with Fedora
and libvirt/virsh, I feel quite stupid - this solves, if not all, then
most of my problems.

Right now I'm just waiting for RHEL/CentOS 6.0 to get released, so i
can get rid of my ugly shell script and make the switch to
libvirt/virsh for good :)

Best Regards
Kenni Lund