Re: Tracking KVM development

On Sun, Mar 21, 2010 at 9:19 PM, Andre Przywara <andre.przywara@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Please think twice about that. Every time I wanted to go away from Slackware
> because of missing packages I ended up with accepting the involved hassle
> with self-compiling because I could stay with the simplicity and clean
> design of Slackware.

Same here.

> I usually compile my own kernels anyway and use the Slackware kernels only
> for testing and installation. So I usually do "make oldconfig" on a stable
> 2.6.xx.>=3 kernel, and am happy with that. QEMU(-kvm) is not a problem at
> all, the dependencies are very small and with Slackware[64] 13.0 it compiles
> out of the box with almost all features. I can send you a reasonably
> configured package (or build-script) if you like.

I also use the config provided by Slackware as a foundation for newer
kernels, and I always compile my own.

I would very much like to see the build-script you mention.

> Currently both qemu-kvm-0.12.3 and Linux 2.6.33 work together very well,
> although I usually do only testing and development with KVM and actually
> "use" it very rarely. So if you need more upper level management tools (like
> libvirt) I cannot help you on this.

I've looked at libvirt a bit, and I fail at seeing the attraction. I
think I will stay with plain qemu-kvm, unless there are some very
compelling reasons for going down the libvirt route.

:o)
/Thomas