Re: Tracking KVM development

Thomas Løcke wrote:
On Sun, Mar 21, 2010 at 1:23 PM, Avi Kivity <avi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Tracking git repositories and stable setups are mutually exclusive.  If you
are interested in something stable I recommend staying with the distribution
provided setup (and picking a distribution that has an emphasis on kvm).  If
you want to track upstream, use qemu-kvm-0.12.x stable releases and
kernel.org 2.6.x.y stable releases.  If you want to track git repositories,
use qemu-kvm.git and kvm.git for the kernel and kvm.

Thanks Avi.

I will stay with the stable qemu-kvm releases and stable kernel.org
kernel releases from now on.

I've never heard of any KVM specific distributions. Are you aware of
any? My primary reason for going with Slackware, is because I already
know it. But if there are better choices for a KVM virtualization
host, then I'm willing to switch.
Please think twice about that. Every time I wanted to go away from Slackware because of missing packages I ended up with accepting the involved hassle with self-compiling because I could stay with the simplicity and clean design of Slackware. I usually compile my own kernels anyway and use the Slackware kernels only for testing and installation. So I usually do "make oldconfig" on a stable 2.6.xx.>=3 kernel, and am happy with that. QEMU(-kvm) is not a problem at all, the dependencies are very small and with Slackware[64] 13.0 it compiles out of the box with almost all features. I can send you a reasonably configured package (or build-script) if you like. Currently both qemu-kvm-0.12.3 and Linux 2.6.33 work together very well, although I usually do only testing and development with KVM and actually "use" it very rarely. So if you need more upper level management tools (like libvirt) I cannot help you on this.

Regards,
Andre.

--
Andre Przywara
AMD-Operating System Research Center (OSRC), Dresden, Germany