Re: sync guest calls made async on host - SQLite performance

On Wed, Oct 7, 2009 at 2:31 PM, Matthew Tippett <tippettm@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> The benchmark used was the sqlite subtest in the phoronix test suite.
>
> My awareness and involvement is beyond "reading a magazine article", I can
> elaborate if needed, but I don't believe it is necessary.
>
> Process for reproduction, assuming Karmic,
>
>        # apt-get install phoronix-test-suite
>
>        $ phoronix-test-suite benchmark sqlite
>
> Answer the questions (test-names, etc, etc), it will download sqlite, build
> it and execute the test.  By default the test runs three timesand averages
> the results.  The results experienced should be similar to the values
> identified at
>
> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=linux_2631_kvm&num=3
>
> Which is approximately 12 minutes for the native, and about 60 seconds for
> the guest.

I have tried this, exactly as you have described.  The tests took:

 * 1162.08033204 seconds on native hardware
 * 2306.68306303 seconds in a kvm using if=scsi disk
 * 405.382308006 seconds in a kvm using if=virtio

I am using an up-to-date Karmic amd64 system, running qemu-kvm-0.11.0,
on a Thinkpad x200, dual 2.4GHz, 4GB, and a somewhat slow 5400rpm SATA
disk.  The filesystem is ext4 in both the guest and the host.

So I'm not seeing a 10x or order-of-magnitude improvement by doing
this in the guest.  With a scsi interface, it's twice as slow.  With
virtio, it's a good bit faster, but not 10x faster.

That said, I don't know that I'm all that concerned about this, right
now.  I haven't looked in detail at what this test from phoronix is
actually doing (nor do I really have the time to do so).  Sorry.

:-Dustin