Re: Moving from 2.4.17 (CentOS 7) to 3.0.7 (RHEL 8)

----- Message from Jason Tibbitts <j@xxxxxx> ---------
   Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2021 13:05:56 -0500
   From: Jason Tibbitts <j@xxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Moving from 2.4.17 (CentOS 7) to 3.0.7 (RHEL 8)
     To: simon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
     Cc: Info <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

simon  <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

On Tuesday, March 16, 2021, at 12:21 AM, Javier Angulo wrote:

AFAIK RHEL packager renamed it to cyr_quota

Why do they do things like that...

I did the renaming when cyrus-imapd was initially updated to version 3
in Fedora, precisely because the command name is conflicting.  RHEL
inherited that packaging.

Historically cyrus-imapd contains a number of conflicting names for
various things, which seems to have been tolerated because the
executables are often not installed into the usual paths for
executables.  Things like quota, restore and fetchnews.  A number of
manpages have to additionally be renamed into an "8cyrus" section
(because otherwise you get conflicts on, say, httpd.8 even though the
httpd executable itself isn't installed into a usual executable path).

In any case, cyr_quota and other renaming were used only after
consultation with the Cyrus developers.  My understanding was that they
intended to eventually make that renaming official upstream, but because
I'm no longer really involved in Cyrus packaging I do not yet know if
that has happened.
- J<

----- End message from Jason Tibbitts <j@xxxxxx> -----

Thanks Jason, that makes sense - it just caught me by surprise when the commands I had used in Cyrus 2.4 were not there anymore, and nothing obvious was documented... after getting the info on this thread I then looked at the file list for the package and it all then made sense. It is still counter-intuitive though to do e.g. "man cyr_quota" and be presented with a page headed "quota".

At the very least perhaps a comment on the cyrus-imapd upgrade and RH package pages would be useful.

Simon.

Simon Wilson
M: 0400 12 11 16