Re: Moving from 2.4.17 (CentOS 7) to 3.0.7 (RHEL 8)

----- Message from Javier Angulo <javier@xxxxxxxxxxx> ---------
    Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2021 10:19:46 +0100
    From: Javier Angulo <javier@xxxxxxxxxxx>
 Subject: Re: Moving from 2.4.17 (CentOS 7) to 3.0.7 (RHEL 8)
      To: info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

On 3/14/21 3:20 PM, simon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Third query, on 'reconstruct'.

I scp'ed test data from a dummy user to the new server, then tried to reconstruct it, but reconstruct is not behaving as I'd expect. To get reconstruct to work it appears I have to do two steps:

First (as per the upgrade page):

reconstruct -V max

But that doesn't add all of the emails... then running:
|reconstruct -f|
...does, like this:

[root@emp87 server]# reconstruct -V max
user/server
Repacked user/server to version 13
user.server.Deleted Items updating quota_mailbox_used: 77944 => 0
user.server.Deleted Items: updating exists 14 => 0
user.server.Deleted Items: updating sync_crc 1694230313 => 0
user/server/Deleted Items
Repacked user/server/Deleted Items to version 13
user/server/Drafts
Repacked user/server/Drafts to version 13
user.server.Sent updating quota_mailbox_used: 6274857 => 0
user.server.Sent: updating exists 3 => 0
user.server.Sent: updating sync_crc 3564848791 => 0
user/server/Sent
Repacked user/server/Sent to version 13
user.server.Spam updating quota_mailbox_used: 299039 => 0
user.server.Spam: updating exists 1 => 0
user.server.Spam: updating sync_crc 4077200434 => 0
user/server/Spam
Repacked user/server/Spam to version 13
user.server.Trash updating quota_mailbox_used: 5214 => 0
user.server.Trash: updating exists 2 => 0
user.server.Trash: updating sync_crc 1430816766 => 0
user/server/Trash
Repacked user/server/Trash to version 13

[root@emp87 server]# reconstruct -f
user/server
user.server.Deleted Items uid 1 rediscovered - appending
user.server.Deleted Items uid 2 rediscovered - appending
user.server.Deleted Items uid 3 rediscovered - appending
user.server.Deleted Items uid 4 rediscovered - appending
user.server.Deleted Items uid 5 rediscovered - appending
user.server.Deleted Items uid 6 rediscovered - appending
user.server.Deleted Items uid 7 rediscovered - appending
user.server.Deleted Items uid 8 rediscovered - appending
user.server.Deleted Items uid 9 rediscovered - appending
user.server.Deleted Items uid 10 rediscovered - appending
user.server.Deleted Items uid 11 rediscovered - appending
user.server.Deleted Items uid 12 rediscovered - appending
user.server.Deleted Items uid 13 rediscovered - appending
user.server.Deleted Items uid 14 rediscovered - appending
user/server/Deleted Items
user/server/Drafts
user.server.Sent uid 1 rediscovered - appending
user.server.Sent uid 2 rediscovered - appending
user.server.Sent uid 3 rediscovered - appending
user/server/Sent
user.server.Spam uid 1 rediscovered - appending
user/server/Spam
user.server.Trash uid 7 rediscovered - appending
user.server.Trash uid 8 rediscovered - appending
user/server/Trash

Otherwise the emails in subfolders are not visible over IMAP.

What is the correct process for running reconstruct from 2.4 to 3.0?

Also, once visible it appears messages are all "Unread" flagged - can the seen flags not be brought through? These are emails from an existing 2.4 server. *Cyrus <https://cyrus.topicbox.com/latest>* / Info / see discussions <https://cyrus.topicbox.com/groups/info> + participants <https://cyrus.topicbox.com/groups/info/members> + delivery options <https://cyrus.topicbox.com/groups/info/subscription> Permalink <https://cyrus.topicbox.com/groups/info/T843907ad61cf4402-Mefda5e5d6186c76f29eacd18>

Hi Simon,

looks like you did not import a dump of mailboxes database on destination. And also did not copy user,quota,sieve folders.

From my memory:

a) On $origin server:
- dump mailboxes.db to text file
# ctl_mboxlist -d > /tmp/foo

b) on $destination server:
- copy from _$origin with permissions(assuming default paths on rhel7/8):
/var/spool/imap/*
/var/lib/imap/sieve/*
/var/lib/imap/user/*
/var/lib/imap/quota/*
your /tmp/foo mailboxes dump file

- import mailboxes
# ctl_mboxlist -u < /tmp/foo
(check uid/gid of /var/lib/imap/mailboxes.db after import)

- run reconstruct
# reconstruct -r -V max user/whatever

Note that if you have user names with dots (e.g. foo.bar), you will
have to rename sieve folders from foo^bar to foo.bar

Hope it helps. I could have forgotten something, though.

Javier.

----- End message from Javier Angulo <javier@xxxxxxxxxxx> -----

That's great thank you... I'll give it a try. You are correct, looks like I missed some steps.

In the meantime I've been working to get sync_client / sync_server working, and am making good headway there. I had to run reconstruct a few times on the source, including with GUID corrections with -G and -R, and had to delete a couple of emails completely, but have been able to get a fully completed test replication of all users, so I am also thinking that may be easier. Does replication bring over sieve scripts?

I still have the following questions though:

1. How to set up squatter in rolling mode on 3.0.7.
2. Whether I need to do anything new for quota management
Incidentally - the "quota" utility is not present on my RHEL 8 install of Cyrus 3.0.7 - is this a known issue? 3. I have set altnamespace: 0 to match what I have on the old server - will that retain the old behaviour? Any issues with migration, sieve? Mailboxes appear to have replicated ok, including one with a dot, which has a folder structure of name^name. 4. Is a "shutdown file missing, updating recovery stamp" message normal on restart of cyrus-imapd 5. New question - after replication from 2.4 to 3.0 and once I have stopped replication and am running with the new one, do I need to run reconstructs on the 3.0 replicated mailboxes? e.g. -V max, etc.?

Simon

--
Simon Wilson
M: 0400 12 11 16