Re: Assessment criteria for decision on in-person/virtual IETF 108

On 4/17/20 5:10 PM, Joel M. Halpern wrote:

Yes, we are all worried.
The LLC (and I presume the IESG / IRTF / ...) are trying to do the right thing.

Jay has posted as set of evaluation criteria.
Given that "when enough of us think it is safe" is both a bad criteria and unusable, I applaud the efforts to write down and discuss with us those criteria.

While I understand the concerns in many of the notes, I am having trouble seeing how Jay or anyone else can translate those concerns into well-defined criteria that can be used to reach an appropriate decision.

I'm reminded of the story about the guy who lost his keys inside his house, but was looking for them outside under a street lamp because the light was better there.

I understand wanting well-defined criteria.    But just because they're well-defined, or easily measured, is no reason to presume that they're wise.

While I appreciate the effort to seek guidance from RFC 8718, those were only intended as venue criteria.   The set of concerns related to meeting during a global pandemic are considerably broader, and many are not specific to the meeting venue.

As for well-defined criteria for deciding when it's safe to meet again, I suggest (as a strawman proposal):

- Case fatality risk, defined as conditional probability of someone diagnosed with COVID-19 having a fatal outcome within 30 days of diagnosis, is 0.2% or less, both globally and in the venue country, for a period of 90 days both before the venue selection is made, and also for the 90 day period ending 14 days prior to the meeting.

- The conditional probability of someone diagnosed with COVID-19 requiring hospitalization, is 1% or less.

- The measured R number of COVID-19, for a period of 90 days prior to venue selection and also a period of 90 days ending 14 days prior to the meeting, both globally and in the venue country, is < 0.5.   (This could be the case because of herd immunity, or availability of a safe and effective vaccine with few contraindications, or widespread testing and contact tracing, or any combination of those and other factors)

Basically I think we mostly tolerate (or self-manage) the risk of seasonal influenza.   So when (by whatever means) COVID-19 is no more dangerous than seasonal influenza, we would probably consider that tolerable also.

Of course, these criteria need work.   For instance CFR is often dependent on age.   An overall CFR of 0.2% might not be acceptable if the risk for those over, say, 65, were 2%.

Keith