Re: [Int-area] Existing use of IP protocol 114 (any 0-hop protocol)

Joe Touch wrote:

That footnote is accurate for nearly every code point on the Internet
- code points have known meaning only in the domain of use and must
be unique within that domain.

If we ignore IANA registration, we are free to use any protocol
with any protocol number. However, footnote in an IANA page
is for people following the IANA registration.

Eric Vyncke (evyncke) wrote:> Masataka, Joe and Bob,

> => the current 'ambiguous' situation does not seem too good to me

If you want to change the current situation, you certainly need
an rfc. But, I'm just conservative.

Note also that protocol number for IGP is not very ambiguous, because
it is reasonable to assume there is only one IGP used in a domain.

							Masataka Ohta