Re: [Int-area] Existing use of IP protocol 114 (any 0-hop protocol)

> On Sep 30, 2019, at 3:03 AM, Masataka Ohta <mohta@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I don't think we need a document either, but, to clarify who
> choose the actual protocol (not IESG, nor protocol developers),
> the following footnote in the IANA page may be helpful:
>
> 	The actual protocol used with the number is determined
> 	at the discretion of local administrator as long as
> 	the protocol is locally unique.
>
> Though it may make wireshark developers unhappy, it was the
> intention of IANA.

That footnote is accurate for nearly every code point on the Internet - code points have known meaning only in the domain of use and must be unique within that domain.

A note might be useful to indicate that the RFC isn’t accidentally missing, i.e.,:

	This protocol is not specified and varies.

JOe