Re: [Int-area] Existing use of IP protocol 114 (any 0-hop protocol)

Joe Touch wrote:

Now, it would nice to have a volunteer to write a document to
finally document those “Any bla” protocol number by putting common
sense restrictions/constraints on them (protocols 9/IGP, 61/host
internal, 63/local network, 68/distributed FS, 99/private
encryption scheme, 114/0-hop).

For the same reasons Bob mentions, I think this isn’t needed.

We don’t need to encourage playing with these code points for
experiments; better a protocol designer go through the
standards-track process, at which point they can either use one of
these codepoints or get a new one.

I don't think we need a document either, but, to clarify who
choose the actual protocol (not IESG, nor protocol developers),
the following footnote in the IANA page may be helpful:

	The actual protocol used with the number is determined
	at the discretion of local administrator as long as
	the protocol is locally unique.

Though it may make wireshark developers unhappy, it was the
intention of IANA.

						Masataka Ohta