Re: Planned experiment: A new mailing list for last-call discussions

On Sun, Sep 15, 2019 at 8:28 PM Melinda Shore <melinda.shore@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 9/15/19 7:16 PM, Eric Rescorla wrote:
> Yes, of course, but that doesn't mean that WG members need to separately
> chime in on the IETF list in support or opposition of a document

No, of course not, but in the event that something becomes
contested on the ietf@ mailing list, people who've opted out
but have strong views or particular experience don't participate
in those discussions.  It's very common for something to get
through WG last call and then run into problems later in the
process.

It is, of course, completely legit not to want to participate
in those discussions but not participating because someone feels
they've already had their say, or they don't care about IETF
consensus, or ... is not quite the same as not participating because
they find the mailing list intolerable.

I don't think that's what I said, or at least not what I meant to say. If people who have had their say in the WG subsequently opt not to participate in the IETF list -- for whatever reason, even if because they find the IETF list aversive -- that does not mean that their views are not included in the consensus process.

-Ekr