Re: Planned experiment: A new mailing list for last-call discussions

On 9/15/19 7:16 PM, Eric Rescorla wrote:
> Yes, of course, but that doesn't mean that WG members need to separately
> chime in on the IETF list in support or opposition of a document

No, of course not, but in the event that something becomes
contested on the ietf@ mailing list, people who've opted out
but have strong views or particular experience don't participate
in those discussions.  It's very common for something to get
through WG last call and then run into problems later in the
process.

It is, of course, completely legit not to want to participate
in those discussions but not participating because someone feels
they've already had their say, or they don't care about IETF
consensus, or ... is not quite the same as not participating because
they find the mailing list intolerable.

There are myriad little ways in which we end up inadvertently
excluding input based on criteria that don't have much to do
with technical chops.  This is one of them.  It may be a price
we're willing to pay in order to have free-ranging and
unfettered discussions but we've never really made that
decision.

Melinda

--
Melinda Shore