Re: tone policing

On Mon, Sep 2, 2019 at 5:06 PM Mark Nottingham <mnot@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
OK. We seem to be thinking about different things, which means that specific examples might help. Saying that "anything goes" as far as how you communicate is OK by the IETF seems like an open invitation to unprofessional behaviour -- which *is* bad behaviour.

I don't agree with this position, although I understand its intent is well-meaning.

The problem is that it might discourage messages that advocate obsoleting obsolete entire jobs, entire companies, entire protocols, etc. In some sense, saying those things is unprofessional. It's not exactly a "never burn bridges" strategy a businessman might have.

This is entirely separate from questioning peoples' expertise or motives. Or, even worse, just bullying them for being new or using a word incorrectly. This happens often in the IETF, and I agree with efforts to tamp down on that. The IETF has taken a harsher stance on that, and I fully support it.

thanks,
Rob