Re: tone policing

On 3 Sep 2019, at 10:17 am, Masataka Ohta <mohta@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Mark Nottingham wrote:
>
>> Absolutely not agreed, for reasons that have been discussed at
>> length. Ignoring bad behaviour is permission to continue it, and
>> changes the culture of the IETF to exclude valuable contributors. It
>> also makes this a toxic environment.
>
> As for not changing the culture of the IETF, how do you evaluate
> the following statement of an SAA I received:
>
> >    We understand that this style of communication was accepted (if
> >    not encouraged) in the past, but it is no longer the expectation
> >    now.

I don't have much context here. Is the presumption in the question that *you* are the valuable contributor being excluded? If so, I'd point out that this appears to be a request to introspect about how your communication style affects others, not exclusion. You can still participate.

Cheers,

--
Mark Nottingham   https://www.mnot.net/