Re: tone policing

On 9/2/19 8:17 PM, Masataka Ohta wrote:

Mark Nottingham wrote:

Absolutely not agreed, for reasons that have been discussed at
length. Ignoring bad behaviour is permission to continue it, and
changes the culture of the IETF to exclude valuable contributors. It
also makes this a toxic environment.

IMO, nothing is doing more to make IETF a toxic environment than "tone policing" (for lack of a better term).

As for not changing the culture of the IETF, how do you evaluate
the following statement of an SAA I received:

>    We understand that this style of communication was accepted (if
>    not encouraged) in the past, but it is no longer the expectation
>    now.

Assuming there was nothing else in the message that gave specific guidance, this does appear to be the very kind of abuse I'm opposed to.

Keith