Re: Request for comments : IANA Policy for the Independent Stream

Hi Ted,

> It looks like section 4 has one or more examples in mind--can you give
> example registries where this sort of allocation has been or might be
> required via this stream?

Sure.

Random example...

Consider the "LMP Object Class name space and Class type (C-Type)"
registry at
https://www.iana.org/assignments/lmp-parameters/lmp-parameters.xhtml#lmp-parameters-4

New assignments of Class Names can be made by Standards Action (0-127) or
Expert Review (128-247).

Suppose an Independent Submission asks for a code point in the 128-247
range, and suppose that the DE thinks this is OK. A value is assigned, and
everyone is happy.

But you'll also notice on the registry page that each Class Name code
point has an associated sub-registry to track the Class Types for the
Class Name.

Thus, the new code point would also need a new sub-registry.

I must admit that I find this corner case (and, by the way, there are
plenty of examples of similar cases) to be a bit squirrelly. I would
prefer if it didn't need to happen, but I think there may turn out to be
cases where it does have to happen, and we have to describe it.

Now, it *could* be that these cases don't actually need the creation of a
new sub-registry. It could be that the code points for these cases could
be contained in the RFC and that would be that. However, this would, IMHO,
create a discrepancy in the registries that could cause confusion.

Does that help?

Thanks,
Adrian
--