Re: why is it still mandatary to have Jabber scribing for WG session given Etherpad can allow anyone to post questions?

Tim Chown wrote:

> > On 7 Aug 2019, at 06:34, Mikael Abrahamsson <swmike@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > On Tue, 6 Aug 2019, Linda Dunbar wrote:

> > > Installing Jabber is not easy. You have to find specific servers to
> > > download, and very often you are not really sure which one is legitimate.

> > You do not need a Jabber client. You can use the WebRTC enabled Meetecho
> > webpage for the session and chat there. It's "the jabber room". It nicely
> > combines the jabber room (the chat window in Meetecho), the video feed and
> > the notes. It works in any modern browser/OS on a desktop OS.

FWIW, I had some issues with it in Brave on MacOS: The room video worked but
the presentation video did not. Probably a security setting I had wrong...
OTOH, it's not exactly a major hardship to fire up a different browser (Chrome
in my case) and that worked fine.

> Exactly; you can use MeetEcho to be "on Jabber".

> > I haven't used a jabber client to participate in IETF jabber room for 3-5
> > years now. I only use Meetecho. I've jabber-scribed probably 30 sessions this
> > way.

> Same, though not so much scribing as professionals such as you :)

Meetecho is what makes remote attendance possible for me. If I had to mess
around with finding the latest working Jabber client/account/whatever in order
to participate, TBH I likely wouldn't bother.

This is not broken; let's please not try and fix it, and most definitely not
with Slack. Slack is almoat as bad as Jabber, but for completely different
reasons.

				Ned