Re: Should IETF stop using GitHub?

On Thu, Aug 01, 2019 at 12:54:21PM +0000, lloyd.wood@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> I've noticed that github use is an effective way to kill
> discussion of an issue in a draft that is raised on a
> mailing list.
>
> Don't respond on the list. Just say you've opened a github
> comment item about it.
>
> Later, mark the comment item, which no-one has commented
> on, as closed. Job done. (The alternative, having lots
> of technical discussion outside the list, is perhaps
> worse.)

I've noticed this too.  If I had a comment I did not want ignored I'd
raise some heck if this treatment was applied to my comment, but the
fact that I'd have to might discourage me (I've other priorities too).

Obviously this doesn't happen during LCs, certainly not IETF LCs.  But
by IETF LC the community is presented with a huge body of work and in
some cases a fait accompli.

> Has github replaced list discussion?

In some WGs, prior to LC, yes, it seems that way.