Re: Should IETF stop using GitHub?

Ladislav Lhotka writes:
> Lars Eggert <lars@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>> [...] of course we can stand up our own instance of pretty much
>> anything based on git. But we'd instantly loose the community already
>> on the public platform.

> I don't think this is an issue, as long as Github projects are used
> primarily as development tools by IETF working groups. In fact, with
> GitLab it should be possible to use the same authentication service as
> for, e.g. IETF tools website.

Yes, GitLab supports external authentication via SAML, OAuth, LDAP etc.
This includes GitHub - so it would be easy to (have someone) set up a
GitLab instance that allows anyone with an existing GitHub account on.

Note that there would still a burden on existing GitHub users who'd have
to adapt their workflows.  But at least the "onboarding" part could be
relatively painless.

Multiple authentication sources are supported as well, and a GitLab
account can be linked with multiple identities.  So with a little care
avoiding/cleaning up duplicate accounts, it should be possible to
smoothly move from GitHub-dependent accounts to some other "SSO"-ish
system, e.g. IETF tools accounts.

(We've been running a few GitLab servers for the Swiss academic sector
for several years... not in Geneva, sorry, but in Lausanne and Zurich.
If there's serious interest in setting something up for IETF, contact me
and I can try to work something out with my management.)
--
Simon.