Re: A suggestion for nomcom, LLC, IESG, IAB

On Jul 24, 2019, at 8:39 PM, Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Are you saying that WG chairs (who are the only people eligible to become
ADs), should all get this training, so that we can find out if they are
any good at being leaders, before we appoint them?

In fact I do believe that WG Chairs should get this training.  It’s not a trivial amount of time, so that’s a big ask.  But it goes to the issue that Alissa brought up at the beginning of the Admin plenary: we have problems with communicating.   Addressing that problem after things have gone wrong is too late.   We have to give people the resources they need to succeed in their role, or we will continue to see communication failures, which are endemic in the IETF.

My first IESG retreat was amazing, but it wasn’t really about training me to be an AD.   It was more about IETF planning.