Re: [105attendees] Agenda Bashing was Re: Administrative Plenary Time Constraint: Must End by 21:00

On 24 Jul 2019, at 13:37, john heasley wrote:

Wed, Jul 24, 2019 at 12:39:20PM -0400, Ted Lemon:
I think any kind of solution that involves peer pressure isn’t going to work well.

It might make sense for us to agree in advance to some questions we would like answered, and then ask the crowd to hum “I feel that this answer was adequate” and then “I feel this answer is not complete, please continue.”

I disagree with 7282. I think humming is an awful approach to expressing dis-/interest in any topic. 1) remote attendees can not hum, nor those on maillists to which any question must be referred, and as/if there is a move toward more remote participation then even fewer can hum. 2) anonymity doesn't allow opponents (or proponent) to ask for explanation nor to attempt
to persuade.  3) non-, dis- & interest often sound equal, resulting in
nothing learned or the person with the largest diaphragm wins.

Humming should not be used/seen as a solution to behavioral problems.

This humming ritual should end.

In what way do you disagree with 7282? I think 7282 makes most of the points (in different ways) that you just made.

pr
--
Pete Resnick http://www.episteme.net/
All connections to the world are tenuous at best