Re: Yang and embedded IANA registries: today's episode: draft-lhotka-dnsop-iana-class-type-yang

Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

Kent Watsen <kent+ietf@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote: >> I believe strongly that the method of referencing the >> registries that the i2nsf document does is preferable >> over the method of the dnsop document. > While this may be true, it would be helpful if you could > reply to Petr's message [1] in the dnsop thread you > started. In particular, if IANA itself updates the YANG > modules directly, at the same time as updating the base > registry (i.e., without the initial RFC itself being > updated), what issues remain? I think that I'm okay if IANA generated YANG modules from the protocol registries. That shouldn't be in an RFC though. I don't know how this will work with systems that generate code from a YANG module, but I know nothing about that usage.

As Petr pointed out in his DNSOP mailing list message, the purpose of such an RFC is to provide a starting revision of the YANG module, plus instructions for IANA about how to reflect the registry changes in the module.

The experience with other similar YANG modules indicates that the process can actually work, see for example

https://www.iana.org/assignments/iana-if-type/iana-if-type.xhtml

For users of such modules, it is important to grab the latest revision from IANA rather than use the initial revision that appeared in the RFC. Perhaps this could be more strongly emphasized in the kick-off RFCs.

While we can think about other procedures and mechanisms, I'd suggest that we stick to the current procedure, until something better is available.

Lada

--
Ladislav Lhotka Head, CZ.NIC Labs PGP Key ID: 0xB8F92B08A9F76C67