Re: Yang and embedded IANA registries: today's episode: draft-lhotka-dnsop-iana-class-type-yang

On 16. 07. 19 20:33, Michael Richardson wrote:

> Kent Watsen <kent+ietf@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> I believe strongly that the method of referencing the
>>> registries that the i2nsf document does is preferable over the
>>> method of the dnsop document.
>

>> While this may be true, it would be helpful if you could reply
>> to Petr's message [1] in the dnsop thread you started.  In
>> particular, if IANA itself updates the YANG modules directly, at
>> the same time as updating the base registry (i.e., without the
>> initial RFC itself being updated), what issues remain?
>
> I think that I'm okay if IANA generated YANG modules from the
> protocol registries. That shouldn't be in an RFC though.  I don't
> know how this will work with systems that generate code from a YANG
> module, but I know nothing about that usage.
>
>>> https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-netconf-crypto-types-10
>>>
>>> is a document that does nothing other than what you describe as
>>> wrong.
>
>> True, and worse, that draft hasn't yet switched the YANG module
>> to being a collection of IANA-maintained modules, as has been
>> discussed on the list.  This change hasn't been made yet only
>> because there is an even larger issue (i.e., lack of a universal
>> crypto algorithm type registry) that needs to be resolved first.
>
> It just won't happen that way.
>
>>> I haven't been able to convince the authors that this is a bad
>>> thing.
>
>> This is an interesting and somewhat overreaching characterization
>> of past interactions.
>
> okay :-) Let me say: "I haven't received communication from the
> authors about how they feel"

As stated in
https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/dnsop/nu8BTdaHAVrxxoqxnknkDkK-4g8
the primary author is not available at the moment so I suggest we wait
couple days for him to return back to the Internet. Thank you for
understanding.

--
Petr Špaček  @  CZ.NIC