Re: Yang and embedded IANA registries: today's episode: draft-lhotka-dnsop-iana-class-type-yang

Hi Paul,
At 07:14 AM 16-07-2019, Paul Wouters wrote:
I would like to point out the yang discussion on dnsops about:

Ok.

This is another yang document that snapshots a bunch of IANA registries
into an RFC, including building references for obsolete/deprecated
items, and of course becoming obsolete pretty much immediately if these
IANA registries change. Some people are objecting and some people don't
see any problem with this approach.

I'll comment below.

I believe I raised this question at the last plenary at the mic as well.

The response from Mr Bagdonas, Area Director, was that it is an area which is lacking and that is his focus.

We need a IETF wide policy or guidance on how the do these things, so
that we do not end up with different policies and guidelines for
different documents or different working groups.

There is BCP 216.

It does not make sense to turn the PTI protocol parameters registries into a code repository. It defeats the purpose of having a registry(ies) when old references are included in the code.

Regards,
S. Moonesamy