Re: Evolving Documents (nee "Living Documents") side meeting at IETF105.)

Hiya,

On 17/07/2019 01:46, john heasley wrote:
> Thus that BGP over TLS RFC does not need to be updated as TLS evolves or
> TLS RFCs come/go, nor does it need to make recommendations about TLS
> itself - something that the authors may not be qualified to comment about.

That is already true. Simply refer to BCP195 instead of
RFC7525 and you get that bit.

I understand the desire for more quickly moving things
but IMO changing too quickly also has downsides so I'm
ok with RFC7525 being the latest instance of BCP195 and
for that RFC needing to be updated or the BCP having
another RFC added to it for TLS1.3 (hopefully in the not
too distant).

I'd be against github-hosted evolving, living or dying
documents. Github is ok for drafts as we do now, but even
today leads to too much off-list discussion and decision
making in my experience.

That said, I do like the idea of a WG nominating a draft
(or set of drafts with additional commentary) as the
current interop draft, but I think I'd be against such an
artefact being a long-lived thing to which e.g. RFCs may
normatively refer.

Cheers,
S.