Re: Too many tools, was Things that used to be clear

On Sat, Jul 13, 2019 at 10:46 AM Joe Touch <touch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Jul 13, 2019, at 7:41 AM, Carsten Bormann <cabo@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> On Jul 13, 2019, at 16:34, Joe Touch <touch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Besides, I’m only suggesting that use of .docx files be supported as authoring tools; the output can still be XML.
>>

> But that’s easy — use MS-Word to edit markdown and then process that.
>
> Maybe you do have something different in mind…

Yeah - something where the headings in Word turn into XML headings, etc. It looks like Phillip’s system might achieve the output conversion I’m looking for, but we may benefit from a .dotx template that shows better how to use it...

FWIW, I haven’t edited source code for documents since 1987 (Scribe, when at the SEI), and I don’t really understand why anyone does.

If people have feature requests, I can put some time in. I have been waiting for the HTML tooling to arrive at IETF.

My tool will also generate a dummy rfc template with placeholders for the stuff that needs to be filled in. It does that for Markdown, Word or HTML.

What it doesn't do is to generate comments to say what the range of choices are.

I did think about doing more with the google docs format. Then people could collaboratively edit the same source.