Re: Too many tools, was Things that used to be clear

On Jul 13, 2019, at 18:05, Phillip Hallam-Baker <phill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> google docs format. Then people could collaboratively edit the same source

Our students tend to do that with markdown files via hackmd.io (or actually the local open-source instance of that we have at the university).  But then they are CS people, who live and breathe that documentation is code.

And that may actually be the reason why we will need two different toolchains for the foreseeable future:  people who come with a developer mindset tend to use developer workflows and developer tools (git, github, automation, CI, …).   Some other people view document generation as word processing, and therefore gravitate to word processing tools.  Some organizations are relatively homogeneous with respect to this split (e.g., ITU doesn’t have a lot of developer-minded people), so they can standardize on one of the sides (e.g., ITU on MS-Word).

The IETF mixes both developer-minded people and, for lack of a better word for the other category, engineers, so we’ll need both sides.  If a development team for specific document is mixed between the two categories, there will be some mismatch, and that is the place where markdown can shine compared to, say, W3C’s respec.

Grüße, Carsten