Nomcom voting [was: Future adjustment of nomcom company limits]

On 10-Jul-19 01:18, Michael Richardson wrote:
> Mike StJohns <mstjohns@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>     >> On Jul 8, 2019, at 19:30, Melinda Shore <melinda.shore@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>     >>
>     >>> On 7/8/19 3:12 PM, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
>     >>> It rather shocks me that you include "whether to approve a questionnaire,
>     >>> approving voting proceedures" here. It seems to me that for those decisions,
>     >>> the liaisons should sit back. (They would certainly provide input to the
>     >>> questionnaires, of course.)
>     >>
>     >> That was the case in the last cycle, and it was quite clear
>     >> that it must be the case.
>
>     > Same for my last go around about 3 years ago.
>
> I've been involved 5 times, and liasons had a vote as to when the meetings
> would be each time.  So this definitely needs clarification.

Of course, that's common sense. I was specifically objecting to liaisons
having a vote on substantive issues affecting the nomination choices,
which the questionnaires and voting rule clearly do.

On 10-Jul-19 01:37, Scott Mansfield wrote:

> So anytime a decision
> needs to be taken that requires a vote that is NOT a candidate selection
> vote, is voted on by the whole team.

Well, if that interpretation allows non-voting members to vote on issues
affecting nomination choices, IMHO it's plain wrong. For example, suppose
a NomCom needs to decide whether to use Condorcet voting or simple majority
voting to select nominees, that is surely not a decision where liaisons
should participate.

I agree that this is not clear in RFC7437, because it leaves it open
what issues might need a formal vote, apart from candidate selection.
In my experience as a NomCom liaison, this didn't arise since everything
else went by consensus anyway.

This should probably be on the issues list for RFC7437bisbis.

    Brian