Re: email-101 [was Re: to pitch or not to pitch, IETF attendance costs]

On Thu, May 16, 2019, 3:22 PM Warren Kumari <warren@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, May 15, 2019 at 5:00 PM Brian E Carpenter
<brian.e.carpenter@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >     > Personally I still think the mailing list format of review and discussions
> >     > are generally the best, but I've been told there are others who do not
> >     > agree. So... the ones who think that this isn't great, would any of the above
> >     > make more sense to you?
> >
> > I'm starting to wonder if we need an email-101 tutorial for newcomers.
>
> Not just for newcomers?
>
> I find life is progressively harder as people's email habits drift in
> different directions. Just elementary things like flowed vs unflowed
> text. Various methods of quoting text. People who seem to regard
> HTML as the normal format. Use of colour, which doesn't work in the
> plain text variant.
>
> Apart from the mechanics, there is indeed etiquette, but deeper issues
> (like using simple English, avoiding slang and idioms), failing to
> change the Subject when the subject changes, and knowing when to
> shut up (which I will now do).

indeed a similar issue is when people don't bother capitalizing or
punctuating in their email this shifts the effort from the sender to
the receiver and apart from being rude comes off as extremely arrogant
me and my message are so important that i expect a large number of
readers to have to waste their time figuring out what was meant

[I had to write the above "normally" and then go through and strip
punctuation to make the point...]

Or maybe when threads drift from problems that are IETF-specific to general "old man yells at cloud/millennials" complaints.

Not that this would happen here.