Re: IETF attendance costs

On 13-May-19 07:09, Keith Moore wrote:
> On 5/12/19 2:54 PM, Carsten Bormann wrote:
>
>>> But we absolutely need to get out of the mode of assuming that IETF WG meetings consist mostly of presentations with a little bit of discussion squeezed in.
>> Keith,
>>
>> can you please explicitly shame the WGs where that happens?
>> (It appears that set is different from the set of WGs I attend.)
>
> I've thought about doing so before, but (a) it wouldn't be a
> representative sample, and (b) the last thing I need is to make even
> more enemies in IETF.   But in my broad experience over the past several
> years (trying to get to one meeting per year since I'm generally not
> sponsored), more WG meetings than not have seemed to have this
> characteristic.

But there's a problem. It's common for either the speaker or the chairs
to ask "How many people have read the draft?" and to see fewer than 10
hands go up. What's the speaker supposed to do except show her slides?
(Which normally have too many words to be useful.) So the problem is
a bit more basic, IMHO. It's not the slides that are the problem in
themselves. It's the fact of discussing drafts that haven't got people
interested enough to bother reading them.

Yet we need to get new ideas into discussion, before we can even start
a debate about running code and rough consensus.

In answer to Dave Täht, I'd like to note that the conjunction in that
phrase is "and", not "or". We really do need both. And we also need to get
out ahead of the market, which is the dilemma for something like homenet.
The age of routed home networks will come. Whether it comes with HNCP
and Babel remains to be seen.

Regards
    Brian