Re: IETF attendance costs

On 5/12/19 2:54 PM, Carsten Bormann wrote:

But we absolutely need to get out of the mode of assuming that IETF WG meetings consist mostly of presentations with a little bit of discussion squeezed in.
Keith,

can you please explicitly shame the WGs where that happens?
(It appears that set is different from the set of WGs I attend.)

I've thought about doing so before, but (a) it wouldn't be a representative sample, and (b) the last thing I need is to make even more enemies in IETF.   But in my broad experience over the past several years (trying to get to one meeting per year since I'm generally not sponsored), more WG meetings than not have seemed to have this characteristic.

Note that by "presentation" I mean any session within a WG meeting that's largely occupied by having people look at things projected on a screen.   Discussion does happen between slides, but reading the slides takes up a lot of the time.

I assume that everyone is sincerely trying to get work done, but we're hampered by habit and precedent.

The very setup that exists in these rooms (theater seating, projection screen is the center of attention) is sleep-inducing.

Keith