Re: [EXTERNAL] LLC Board Meeting Details - 1 May 2019

--On Monday, May 6, 2019 16:08 -0400 Alissa Cooper
<alissa@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi John,
>
>> On May 4, 2019, at 9:27 PM, John C Klensin
>> <john-ietf@xxxxxxx> wrote:

>> It (and even with the very narrow view in which Board members
>> would be required to disclose other commitments that might
>> constitute COIs only to each other), does raise another issue.
>> Suppose, due to changes in employment or other commitments,
>> someone discloses new issues to the rest of the Board that, in
>> their judgment, makes it impossible for that person to serve
>> effectively.  We don't have provisions for Board members to
>> vote each other off (often a bad idea anyway),
>
> Exhibit A(9) of the LLC Agreement [1] and Section 6.7 of
> draft-ietf-iasa2-rfc4071bis [2] allow for directors to be
> removed by a vote of the other directors.

> Alissa
>
> [1] https://www.ietf.org/documents/180/IETF-LLC-Agreement.pdf
> [2]
> https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-iasa2-rfc4071bis-11#sec
> tion-6.7

Alissa,

My apologies.  I should have gone back and reviewed the text
before writing.  Rather than risking reopening settled issues,
I'll assume the tradeoffs were carefully considered and that the
things that prompted me to say "often a bad idea anyway" were,
on balance, considered less important.

To the extent to which the IESG (and IAB?) are thinking about
issues with their own accountability, it may be worth reviewing
those issues because, IIR, when the current IETF leadership
model was being designed, there was fairly strong community
consensus that, if the IESG or IAB was allowed to remove their
own members, the risks of a cabal pushing out people who
disagreed with them far exceeded the advantages of a quick and
efficient process for removing someone who had become
problematic.  Either the LLC Board is very different that regard
(I don's see why it would be, but that may be just my lack of
imagination) or it may be time to see if we have changed our
collective minds about that tradeoff for the IESG and IAB.

Again, sorry for creating confusion and noise.
   john