Re: I-D Action: draft-moonesamy-recall-rev-00.txt

Hi Keith,
At 07:10 PM 29-03-2019, Keith Moore wrote:
Just to clarify, by asking "So I guess I'm curious - what problems are we having that cause people to think we need to make recalls easier, and could those problems be addressed in less disruptive ways?" what I was really wondering was whether the interest in fixing the recall process was indicative of actual problems with certain individuals (presumably toward remote participants) that aren't being addressed.

In other words, are people interested in trying to use the recall process to fix problems that are better addressed in other ways?

Thanks for the clarification. It is not possible to determine whether remote participants encountered actual problems with some individuals or whether the problems, if any, are better addressed in other ways.

I have no direct experience with recalls, but I do have experience with appeals. They are, in my experience, tremendously time consuming. They take away time and energy, that could otherwise be applied to doing technical work, from people who are already over-burdened. Everyone understands that they're necessary, and that it's necessary to take them seriously, so that the process is fair and viewed as fair. That's part of why those handling the appeal spend so much time and energy - people handling them are aware that the trust of the community is at stake, so they want to do a good job. Even though an appeal can significantly impede progress of unrelated IETF work.

Do appeals have a negative connotation? Some participants might view it as such. Should the success rate of appeals be used to determine that? The probability of success depends on several factors. Anyway, the technical work is carried out within the IETF and there are rules, as part of standardization, which comes with it.

Regards,
S. Moonesamy