Re: I-D Action: draft-moonesamy-recall-rev-00.txt

Hi Keith,
At 08:39 AM 29-03-2019, Keith Moore wrote:
Your concern is valid and should be addressed somehow. But I can't help but have the impression that this is the least of the issues facing someone who wishes or needs to participate remotely.

Thanks for the feedback.  The issue is about fairness.

I see the recall process as a stopgap measure in case the less drastic and disruptive measures for ensuring fairness have failed. If recalls have to be considered more than once every several years, something else is likely to be wrong.

I did not suggest that recalls have to be considered every year or every several years.

So I guess I'm curious - what problems are we having that cause people to think we need to make recalls easier, and could those problems be addressed in less disruptive ways?

The I-D is not about an immediate problem.

Is an appeal disruptive? Is the first step of a recall disruptive? I would not describe them as such. Those procedures are usually part of a process so that the process is fair and viewed as fair.

The current recall process does not describe the problems for which a recall is applicable. The I-D doesn't do that either. I don't view the matter as being about those problems for which a recall may be the better approach. It is about whether a remote participant, who satisfies the requirements, is allowed to be a signatory if the case arises. It has been pointed out in the discussion that a remote participant could rely on a participant who fulfills the existing requirements if there is a need for a recall petition to be signed. Some people might find that approach acceptable. I beg to differ; that doesn't mean that those people are wrong.

Regards,
S. Moonesamy