Re: Communications - Re: Ombudsteam update

On 1/28/2019 4:56 PM, lloyd.wood=40yahoo.co.uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Communicating with Americans is often hard work for non-Americans...

And then there's "Communicating with Americans is often hard work for Americans" and  "Communicating with IETF participants is often hard work for everyone including IETF participants".

Just saying.

Regardless, colloquial English of both the British and American varieties tends to provide loan words into lots of other language and cultural contexts.  It's difficult for a English  (both native and non-native) speaker to sometimes know where the limits are and to what extent they apply to any given person.  I'd like to suggest that we don't make too much of this, avoid "words of the week", but not worry about terms we (community collectively) have been using for years.  And add a sentence to the Tao that suggests "when in doubt, google it or ask the speaker"  which I had to do when a recent random encounter with a Brit had me googling for the meaning of "have a butcher's" and not understanding why he was pointing at a magazine cover.

All technical communities have their own languages - that's just the reality.  Learning to become fluent in that language is just the cost of doing business.  Staying fluent is also part of the cost (cf the discussions on git/github/etc).

Later, Mike