Re: Hackathon (was: Re: The Friday Experiment)

On Nov 20, 2018, at 05:17, Charles Eckel (eckelcu) <eckelcu@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

 At IETF 102 and 103, we announced each time and had them raise their hand to show where they were. This took a few minutes at most. Are you saying this is not helpful?

It is especially for Newcomer’s I guess. But also nice to know what is happening. Although I don’t think I have ever been at the start of a hackathon to see these.

 At the end of the hackathon, we had 3-minute presentations by all teams that wished to share a summary of what they did. This is entirely optional, yet most teams chose to do it. It took about 90 minutes, which is admittedly a long time.

There were 30 teams?

An idea would be to have a max of three slides. What is the project worked on in 1 slide, what was the goal, what was achieved.

At IETF 101, I proposed not having these presentations, but when I polled the room the vast majority of participants raised their hands in favor of having them. These presentations are a way to record and share what was accomplished and learned at the hackathon. I believe this is valuable, even if not every presentation is of interest to everyone in attendance.

Yes I agree. My earlier comments was only about disliking the contest. I do like the short presentations.

Paul