Re: [IAB] IAB report to the community for IETF 103

On 11/19/18 8:26 AM, Michael Richardson wrote:

Keith Moore <moore@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
     > Would it be appropriate for IETF to issue an RFC that states that
     > despite the similarity in names, use of such variants of TLS MUST NOT
     > be used to claim compliance with IETF specifications requiring TLS,
     > and generally warning the IETF community of deliberate efforts to
     > weaken application security?

Can you give me an example of what you mean?
(i.e. "Use "TLS MUST NOT in a sentence" :-)

One example I was thinking of was RFC 8314, which states (again, for example) that an MUA "SHOULD require negotiation of TLS version 1.1 or greater" to establish a minimum confidentiality level that's suitable for interaction with a mail server.   It needs to be clear that some TLS variant that's designed to compromise the user's privacy isn't ever suitable to establish a minimum confidentiality level, no matter what version number it claims to use.

More generally, while we try to make TLS version y more secure than TLS version x, for y > x, you can't really compare versions of real TLS with versions of compromised TLS and expect that comparison to be meaningful in terms of the level of confidentiality provided.

Keith