Re: Hackathon (was: Re: The Friday Experiment)

From: Paul Wouters <paul@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Monday, November 19, 2018 at 6:11 PM
To: Charles Eckel <eckelcu@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Eric Rescorla <ekr@xxxxxxxx>, Jana Iyengar <jri.ietf@xxxxxxxxx>, "ietf@xxxxxxxx" <ietf@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Hackathon (was: Re: The Friday Experiment)

On Nov 20, 2018, at 05:17, Charles Eckel (eckelcu) <eckelcu@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

 At IETF 102 and 103, we announced each time and had them raise their hand to show where they were. This took a few minutes at most. Are you saying this is not helpful?

It is especially for Newcomer’s I guess. But also nice to know what is happening. Although I don’t think I have ever been at the start of a hackathon to see these.

 At the end of the hackathon, we had 3-minute presentations by all teams that wished to share a summary of what they did. This is entirely optional, yet most teams chose to do it. It took about 90 minutes, which is admittedly a long time.

There were 30 teams?

An idea would be to have a max of three slides. What is the project worked on in 1 slide, what was the goal, what was achieved.

Yes, about 25 or which presented. Each had 3 minutes and generally presented what you suggest here. Transitions between teams makes a bit of time as well.

At IETF 101, I proposed not having these presentations, but when I polled the room the vast majority of participants raised their hands in favor of having them. These presentations are a way to record and share what was accomplished and learned at the hackathon. I believe this is valuable, even if not every presentation is of interest to everyone in attendance.

Yes I agree. My earlier comments was only about disliking the contest. I do like the short presentations.

Great, and thanks for sharing your thoughts. The hackathon continues to evolve as it grows. Constructive feedback and suggested improvements are welcome and valued.

Cheers,

Charles

Paul